Tuesday, November 02, 2010
Posted by cyberman
Apple has seeded iOS 4.2 Golden Master (GM) and iOS SDK 4.2 GM to developers of its iOS Developer program.The Golden Master version means that it is the shipping version of the software that developers must use to develop and submit iOS apps that are compatible with iOS 4.2.
Steve Jobs had given a glimpse of some of the new features that will be available in iOS 4.2 at the September 1 special event such as:
- iOS 4 features such as multitasking, folders, Game Centre for iPad users.
- AirPrint: Apple’s Wirelessly printing technology
- It will also bring the AirPlay feature to iDevices, which will allow you to stream video, music, and photos over Wi-Fi especially useful if you have the second generation Apple TV.
The beta versions of iOS 4.2 have revealed some hidden features. iOS 4.2 Beta 1 has revealed the following features:
- iOS 4.2 finally brings the iOS 4 features like multitasking folders, Universal Inbox, Game Centre etc to the iPad
- The screen orientation lock switch on the iPad has now been repurposed to serve as the mute switch
- New fonts for Notes app
- New Settings option
- New Default Lockscreen Keyboard
- Allow you to search for text on a web page in Mobile Safari
- Allows users to set text tones to individual contacts
Users who want to jailbreak and unlock their iPhone should avoid upgrading to iOS 4.2 GM and wait for iPhone Dev Team, Chronic Dev team and Geohot to release updated versions of their hacking tools for iOS 4.2.
Apple had indicated that iOS 4.2 for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad will be released in November.
With today’s release of iOS 4.2 Golden Master, it looks like iOS 4.2 will be released to users next week or at the end of the week to fix the annoying Daylight savings bug before it affects users in the US who will be switching back to Standard Time on November 7.